Monday, January 10, 2011

January 10, 2011

Querida Mamá,

Oh my goodness I am going to die when I get home - cold doesn't exist here! Haha. Actually it does get pretty cold...but not enough to snow. Right now, however, it has been REALLY hot every day. One day it was so hot that it made me sweat so much that my backpack stained my shirt, haha. I got it washed, though, so no worries there. I hadn't washed my backpack in a little while anyway...and when I say ''little while'' I really mean not ever :) But yeah, it's been pretty darn hot down here - that's expected, though, considering we're in the middle of summer.

So I sent a box out for you all today - there's a little something in there for all of you. I hope you enjoy it!

Yesterday we had a really cool experience. Maikel Espinoza was confirmed a member of the church (we had to wait a week because the baptism was after church last week) - they randomly decided to have me do it, haha. I hadn't confirmed someone a member since I was in Cabrero, so that was a neat experience. Anyway, so after church we went over to Maikel's house to watch a video and share a message with his family. Maikel's girlfriend was there and she asked why it would be important for her to know if Joseph Smith was a prophet or not. So we talked about the Restoration with her (Maikel testifying of everything every step of the way! Go convert!!!!), which cleared a lot of things up and at the end she decided that she would have to ask God as we had invited her. On top of Maikel sharing his testimony of the Restoration his DAD also did something very similar! Haha, it was awesome. He said that before we started teaching Maikel he thought that the ''Mormons'' worshipped Joseph Smith, but that after he had taken the time to listen to us he realized that that was not true. He said that Joseph Smith was just a prophet that God called in these times to help His children find the way home. We invited the whole family (Maikel's parents, his little brother, and his girlfriend) to read the pamphlet of the Restoration and pray about it before the next time we come - they all said they'd do it. Maikel should be recieving the priesthood this coming Sunday so we're hoping to have him baptize his family in the next month or two. I love this work with all my heart.

This weekend a boy named Robinson will be getting baptized. He's the son of an inactive member and the grandson of a member couple that we've recently reactivated. He and his little brother (who has 7) are really happy to be coming to church and we're hoping that Robinson's baptism will help to reactivate his father, who is also named Robinson. He's actually a really great and receptive guy, so I'm confident we'll be able to do it.

This week I was reading Elder Richard G. Scott's message from the last General Conference called The Transforming Power of Faith and Character - this talk is AMAZING! Read it through several times and I hope you can all grow to have an appreciation for it like I do. And remember the 4 principles of a happy life:

- Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His program to acquire the power to achieve.

- Repentance to rectify the consequences of mistakes of omission or commission.

- Obedience to the commandments of the Lord to provide strength and direction in our lives.

- Selfless service to enrich the lives of others.

I remember that Elder Scott came to the MTC while I was there - his talks have always been very personally motivating and very inspiring for me. Study this talk!

Well, I'm pretty short on time - Elder Sanchez and I have to go to the government buildling to make him legal, haha. He took longer than he should have to register his visa. Last week he had an interview with the police of investigations and now today we're going to go finish up all the paper work. Fun stuff! *Note* ALWAYS DO YOUR PAPERWORK AND GOVERNMENT WORK ON TIME! Or you'll have to sit around for a long time, haha.

I think that's about it for this week. I got kind of lazy taking pictures again, but I did find a funny-looking lawn gnome while I was on an intercambio in Nueva Imperial. Maybe I'll include a picture of that, hehe.

I love and miss you all tons! For those of you who have not written me yet you have about 6 more months and that's it! So write me! Chaoito pescados! (Bye fish! -it's a Chilean thing)

Love,
Trevor

PS. Sorry about the picture! It's the only one I have for this week, haha. I hope you can get a laugh out of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment