Saturday, February 26, 2011

February 26, 2011

Note from Trevor's mom: Oops -- I'm having the hardest time with his new p-day schedule! I did indeed forget to write him, but at least he's in the office, so I was able to connect briefly last week, and now I've written. Maybe he'll get to check tomorrow...

Looks like I've been forgotten about! Haha. This is my second week without a letter (I think)! Lucky for you all I'm able to jump into my e-mail account at times during the week so I'll be able to read it when you send it. Actually, this week I won't, haha. We'll be traveling around the mission again this week doing training sessions with all the zones. And on Monday we have consejo with President Swenson in Los Angeles, so I won't get on that day either. Oh well - stuff happens, right?

What's new in the life of Elder Vincent this week?

One of the office elders, Elder Brimhall (from AZ), and I have started to play a new sport. Well, maybe not-so-new, but for us it is - office soccer! Yup, after lunch to burn some calories we set up some goal lines in the office and kick a mini-soccer ball around. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but that's actually the most popular kind of soccer here in Chile. Not office soccer, but with the mini ball - they usually play on mini-concrete flats like a basketball court. It's called ''Baby'' and is insanely fun. I've actually gotten alright at it and have pretty much lost any ''skills'' I might have had before to play on a full-sized field. That's alright, though. If I play on a big field I just load my team up with latinos and then I'm good, haha.

Today Elder Moreno and I went on a trip all the way out to the tip of the Talcahuano peninsula to a place called ''Caleta Tumbas''. Directly translated that means ''Cove Tombs''. When Elder Moreno told me the name I thought I had better get prepared, so I brought along my eye-patch, my wood leg, and my arrrrrrr voice...but then didn't end up needing it because everyone there was alive...haha. I was actually surprised to see that people lived there, because it's on the other side of a ton of military land and then it's just this tiny little cove at the tip of the peninsula before the biiiiiig ooooooooll' ocean opens up. I'll include some pictures - it's really cool.

Photobucket
Caleta Tumbas

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
a nice place to retire

Photobucket
climbing the reef

Photobucket
a boat that got knocked over in the earthquake

Photobucket
boat building

Tonight is the one-year anniversary of the earthquake last year. A lot of people think something huge will be happening tonight, but that's all just superstition garbage. I'm sure the earth has its earthquake calendar just sitting on the table saying, ''Oops! I quaked exactly one year ago in Chile! Which means I have to do it again the same day this year! It's a tradition, you know!'' Hehe, silly people.

Have you found anything out about USU yet? I would really like to not have to worry about that - but if I need to do something I want to get it done early. As far as what I'm going to study, I think I'll stay with the music performance major, and then do a double minor in Spanish and Political Science. I've been reading and thinking about it a little this week and I think I'm beginning to decide exactly what kind of law I want to study: at the moment either Litigations or International Law. Out of those two I think I like international law more, but I've still got some research to do on all that. Anyway, just wanted to make sure all the education stuff is lined up, because I don't really have that much time left to do that. (I tried to log on to my USU account the other day and it wouldn't let me - do you know why?).

I have a recommendation this week for all interested - WATCH Elder Holland's talk from the October 2009 General Conference. It's a big testimony builder, and nobody quite conveys this type of message in the way that Elder Holland does. One of my favorite lines from the talk is when Elder Holland states that ''no wicked man could right a book (the Book of Mormon) such as this; and no good man would write it, unless it were true and he were commanded of God to do so.'' The Book of Mormon has changed my life in so many ways - and there's not a chance in this world that that could have happened by only reading it. I had to pray about it - a lot. Along with that it was necessary to put into practice the things I was learning, to see for myself if the blessings really were true. The Book of Mormon is not just another book - it can bring us all closer to God than we can even imagine. I encourage you all to read, and STUDY it - this requires effort and time, but is worth every second. I promise you that if you make it a priority to study this sacred volume of scripture regularly, it will change your life forever.

Well, we've gotta head back to the apartment to get ready to go work now. I love and miss you all very much! And I'll look forward to hearing from you soon!

Photobucket
drummer at a ward party

Love,
Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment