Wednesday, March 9, 2011

March 9, 2011

Well hello!

Finally found a quick moment to write a few lines! Things have been really busy here this week and all last week as well.

I don't think I wrote on Saturday...probably because I didn't have an e-mail to respond to! Haha.

So last week we were traveling again - training sessions with all the zones of the mission. Elder Moreno and I trained about revelation through church attendance and how to work well with the members. We had a fun game to demonstrate: two companionships had one cup each and they had to gather water from one bowl on a table and walk heel-to-toe to another table about 20 feet away and dump the water in another bowl - the first companionship that filled the other bowl won. The catch is that one companionship had a bunch of holes in their cups, so obviously they weren't going to get very much water to the desired destination. We all got some good laughs, some got some cleaner shoes, and hopefully everyone learned a thing or two.

Photobucket
my group at Consejo

On the way home from Temuco Friday night (we left a town called Lautaro at about 10pm because we had to do a baptismal interview there at 9 pm) we got pulled over by some Carabineros! It was about 10:30 pm - we had just been pulling out of a gas station where we bought some snacks and drink for the ride (it's about 3 1/2 hours from Temuco to Concepción). As I pulled over I was thinking....what in the world? This can't be a speeding ticket, I was only going 30 (about 18 mph)! So I rolled down the window and the officer said, ''Where are you going?'' (in spanish, of course ;-) ) ''To Concepción.'' I responded, a little confused. He then asked me if we could take one of their captain's up to Concepción - apparently he had missed his bus. We said that would be fine, loaded the bags into the back, and then started the 3 1/2 hour drive. The carabinero was actually a really nice guy and we had a lot of time to talk about the gospel and some things about life in general. We got back to our house in San Pedro at about 2 and immediately fell asleep.

This week I've been really busy every minute of every day - President Swenson has asked us to pull out the records of a program called ''permaneced'' (it's a program to help reactivate members) from 2010-11 and to compile it so that he can have the totals and the averages. Sounds like a simple task, right? Well, it would be if the elders last year had done their job better! There weren't any sheets in microsoft excell with the totals from each month, so we have had to go through and do all of them, haha. Today we should be finished with that assignment.

We'll be having a baptism this Saturday! Woooo! Her name is Nataly Candia - she's 26 and is very ready to be baptized. The other day when we were in an appointment with her and another member the member voiced a concern that Nataly's family doesn't really like the idea of her getting baptized. So we asked Nataly how she felt about that and she said, ''No, I'm getting baptized. I was praying last night and God told me: Nataly, this 12 of March you will be baptized.'' We didn't even have to do anything! It's a great feeling when the people you teach and care about just follow the promptings of the Spirit.

Alright, I've got a fun moment to share with you all. To prep this moment, it's important that you know a little bit about the other two elders that I live with: Elder Brimhall and Elder Arksey. Elder Brimhall is a pretty new elder from Arizona - really good guy; he's got a good heart. Elder Arksey is from Canada and will also be studying law. He's also a bit of a comical cynic, haha. It's entertaining at times - such as this moment that I'm about to be sharing with you. Ok, so last night we were getting ready for bed, Elder Brimhall was feeling a little bummed about something, so I told him to keep his chin up. And then out of nowhere Elder Arksey says, ''Yeah, that way it's easier to punch you in the throat!'' Hahahahaha! I hope you all enjoyed that one as much as I did.

This week I get to have a new experience - cambios! Why do I say new experience, you might ask? Well, because President Swenson asks Elder Moreno and I for our opinions about cambios for the mission (new leaders, etc.). It'll be a good experience - hope to learn a lot from it.

Quick letter update: I had a little bit of time to write some letters and send them out, so some may expect letters in the next couple of weeks. I'll do my best to respond to the others that are left - I believe there are about 2 or 3. Thank you for being patient! I have a LOT on my plate down here!

Well, I think that's about it for this week. Hopefully I'll have a little time to write again on Saturday, but if not I'll just get to it at some point during the week. Thank you for writing! Love and miss you tons!

Photobucket
FHE - Bernal, Daniela, Hno Rojas, Hna Fuentealba, Emanuel, Moreno, Pung

Photobucket
FHE game

Photobucket

Love,
Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment