Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4, 2011

(sing the tune to the star spangled banner while reading this)

Oh say can you see, the ice on my pillow. Oh how my face sticks to it, I might just throw a fit.

Photobucket
Frost in Vilcún!

I'll just leave it there so that I don't destroy the national anthem anymore, haha. I'm glad to hear that you've all had an enjoyable holiday! We've had a good one here so far as well - we had a zone activity with a barbeque, soccer, frisbee, the works. I was the only one with a flag, haha. In the morning I realized that I had a version of America the Beautiful by Wayne Burgeron (excuse my spelling errors!) so I safety-pinned the flag to my shirt and put my jacket over it, and when we got to the chapel I had Elder Torres put the song on full volume at the part where Wayne plays really high and I unzipped my jacket Jim-Carrey-in-Bruce-Almighty style. Everyone got a crack out of that, and then we all sang the national anthem. Cool day!

Photobucket
Flag of Champions!

Jorge and Nancy's baptism went really well on Saturday! We filled a van with members and investigators from Vilcún and drove over to Temuco. Jorge actually brought his uncle who said that he wanted to be baptized as well, so we'll be more than happy to help him out with that! I feel blessed to be able to work here in Vilcún - it's amazing! Something happened on Sunday morning that had never happened to me in my time as a missionary - Jorge got hit by a car on his way to pick up his uncle to go to church and they rushed him over to the hospital in Temuco. Nancy just about had a heart attack so she was hospitalized here in Vilcún as well. So they weren't confirmed yesterday, but the bishop from Temuco went to the hospital and visited Jorge - no serious injuries. They should both be back home today so we're going to go see them. What are the odds of something like that happening!? I'm just glad they're both ok.

Photobucket
Baptism of Nancy and Jorge

Photobucket
Jorge and Torres

Photobucket
Nancy and me

Not this weekend but the next (the 16th of July) we should have another baptismal service for the daughters of a member and also the boyfriend of one of the members. It'll be a good way to finish up the mission :) There are so many great people here in Vilcún that are prepared to recieve the gospel in their lives. I really wish that I could stay a couple months more to work with them and see their testimonies of Christ and the gospel grow. It's going to be hard to leave this...well, leave the being a missionary part. I'll still continue talking to everyone here through facebook and stuff, hehe. It's a huge blessing to be able to communicate so easily with people on the other side of the world. One day you'll have to come back here to visit with me. Maybe when the Concepción temple is dedicated.

Last night I was reminded of living out in the country in Virginia. There is a member family here that lives just outside of Vilcún in the country and their son turned 13 yesterday so we went out there to make some brownies and celebrate his birthday. There are no street lights or anything on the way out there, so we were walking in almost complete darkness. Really the only thing that could be seen was the sky and stars - there wasn't a single cloud! I was reminded of walks in Virginia when there wasn't any noise from the city or anything, just the silence of nature. I'm just amazed at how all of this could be created.

Photobucket
Llaima from Vilcún

Well, that's about all for this week. I had better get some pictures attached before my time runs out. Have a great week! Love you all!

Love,
Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment