Wednesday, October 7, 2009

October 5, 2009

Hola!

Wasn't conference amazing?! When President Monson announced the temple to be constructed in Chile, Elder Kester and I jumped for joy and started laughing almost - it's very exciting. It was kind of funny, though, because it seemed like we were more excited than the members! Then again, there were only about 3 members at that session. And then there were the same people at the second session...5ish at the preisthood...25ish at the first session on Sunday, and then back to about 4 (excluding Elder Kester and I) at the second session. That was a new experience for me - nobody watches conference! In Cabrero, at least. At least we didn't have to deal with the huge traffic jam of people leaving before the meeting is over hehe. Dad should appreciate that one. Oh man, I loved conference so much this year. Especially the talk Elder Holland gave about the Book of Mormon. I'm definitely going to be watching that one again later when I get a moment. I probably won't be here when the temple in ConcepciĆ³n is finished (or maybe even started), but I'll be able to say that I took part in preparing this part of the world to recieve a temple at least. I'll definitely have to come back here and visit sometime after my mission.

I'm soooo glad to hear that Grandma is doing better! She must have felt pretty left out with that meat business - but now she can have Grandpa to do everything for her, which is great. I've never really tasted his cooking, but you're never too old to learn something new, right?

I do feel pretty lucky that I got to skip winter this year, but keep in mind that when I come back I'll be getting a double-dose and then you can laugh at me then hehe. It's still been pretty chilly, and it rained cats and dogs yesterday (I don't have my rain gear except my umbrella and my coat, yet, so needless to say my pants, socks, and shoes were soaked). It has been warming up, though. The other day I went proselyting in short sleeves with no jacket. The members around here say it gets really hot during the summer, which I'm actually looking forward to - they can't believe that I prefer hot over cold. The country-side is absolutely gorgeous here! This morning Elder Kester and I took a bus to ConcepciĆ³n to run some errands (we're still in Conce) and I got to spend an hour looking out the window avoiding watching the movie Speed on the bus TV. Farewell Babylon! hehe.

I'm glad to hear that the Lord has been blessing you in regards to finding more work - make sure you take every opportunity you can becuase you never know when the next one will come. But I'm sure you already know all the ins and outs of the music business. You're very fortunate to have that other teacher who is willing to sub for you, count your many blessings! Also, stay optimistic about the arthritis - atitude is half the battle. I'm sure that older lady that still practices to this day is where she's at now because she kept the right atitude about it. I'll pray for your fingas Mamacita (and your hip)! Shoot, I'll just pray for you, sound good? I thought so.

I don't know how long a package takes to get here, but I would imagine a month at least. I sent some letters at the post office the other day and they said it can take anywhere from 8 days to 3 weeks to get a letter from here to the destination in the States. Once again, I'm a stinker and forgot to write down the address and bring it with me, so I'll be sure to have that for next week. But igual, I believe the addresses are in that packet I left with you and it should also have the phone number of the mission office, so you can call and get all the info you need. I really wouldn't know what to tell you concerning that because I've never recieved or sent anything.

Dun dun dun! Meeting with the stake president eh? I wonder what that's all about. Take the advice given by one of the speakers in conference yesterday (I'm blanking on the name) - When a call comes, you accept it! If you do end up getting a call, I know we'll all recieve blessings as a family for it. Maybe he just wants to chat and have a cup of hot chocolate? Couldn't hurt to hope, right? I agree, Dad is a great gospel doctrine teacher. I really wish I had spent more time studying scriptures with you all, I love studying the scriptures now. If only I had found this out sooner!

Good to hear that Cami is staying busy, tell her that I said to keep on keepin' on! Oh, and as for the questions she sent me in a letter - 1. No, Sprint does not keep a copy of all your text messages that they will give to you. 2. Yes, it costs money to use facebook and internet, so I would suggest not using it. 3. The contract on the phone should run out July of next year, but you can ask the people at the Sprint store for a solid date.

Who is the nurse at the Doctor's office that knows me? I don't know if I'm aware of anyone I know working there...interesting.

That's exciting about the new roof! You'll have to send me pictures of the house when it's all done, and pictures of the family so I can show people around here. They're all really interested in seeing pictures of where I'm from. I've showed many people the pictures you sent of Alexis and the fam and they all adore them.

As far as I go - I'm doing very well. Elder Kester and I have a great time every day. Recently we've been doing divisions with members of the ward and other missionaries in the surrounding sectors, which has really pushed me to be able to swim on my own when it comes to speaking the language and, really, just being a missionary. It's such a great experience - I'm learning how to talk to EVERYBODY, which I think will benefit me later because there is now way I'm going to be leaving Chile as a shy person. Just not going to happen haha. There are still times when I don't understand a word someone says (usually the teens that mumble, or the older people who have no teeth), but generally I'm improving a lot. The other night we passed by a contact's house and we left with 2 baptism dates! So many things are possible if we just thrust in our sickle with all our heart, might, mind and strength. I think the only way I could be happier is if I had some snacks every night hehe. There are little shops called Negocios where I can buy stuff like that, but it would be good to get some American goodies from time to time 'wink wink' haha.

Well, I've gotta write a letter to the President before my time runs out. I love you all and look forward to hearing about how things are going back home! Stay strong, work hard, pray always, study the scriptures daily, and eat lots of peanut butter for me!

With all the love in the world,
Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment