Monday, May 10, 2010

May 10, 2010

Heylo there....again!

So there's probably not a whole lot I could write today that I didn't say yesterday on the phone, but I'll give it a shot anyway haha. Don't hate me if there's some repeated stuff - I guess there are all the people who read the forwards who could get something out of it as well.

So my birthday was awesome - we had a baptism (which I got to see my son perform), a got a purdy tie from my friend Fernanda, and her mom Maite gave me a very comfy scarf that she made herself (be jealous, dad!). The baptism was an experience that I won't be forgetting anytime soon, haha. Bishop Dote called me at about 9 the morning of the baptism to tell me that they were going to have a ward baptism at the same time as us to save on water and all that jazz. So I was like, ''Ok, cool. Who is going to get baptized?'' And then he said a name that made me say, ''Oh.....no.....NO!!!!!!!'' Haha, I kind of feel bad for saying that (I didn't say it to Bishop Dote, just in my head), but this kid is an absolute nightmare. During the two talks before the baptism he was yelling at them to hurry up and stop boring him and that he wanted to get baptized already. Elder Hall put his arm around him to try to help him be quiet, but that didn't really help at all. At least I understand why people back home did that when I was a little kid now haha. I'm sure I was never as bad as this kid though...the Bishop told him to be quiet several times, but that didn't do anything. And then his dad stood up and walked over to him to tell him to be quiet, but he just punched him in the face. So I was just thinking to myself, ''Why? Why now? Why me?'' Hahaha. Alright, so after the talks finished, we continue to have the baptismal service, and, of course, the little kid wanted to go first. So he ran into the font before Elder Hall (they had Hall baptize him because he was already going to be baptizing Oscar) and was about to start swimming when Elder Hall grabbed him and kept him above water. The kid got baptized, and then after going out of the font he tried to run back in, but Elder Hall picked him up and dragged him out of the font, haha. It was hilarious - I actually did get a picture of it that I will send to you. Oscar got baptized and confirmed the next day, so we're very happy about that. He's a great guy, and his sisters are really faithful members so they'll do great. The mom goes to church as well, but she and the dad aren't married...so she can't get baptized just yet. It's kind of a bummer about that - the dad is married with someone else that took off to Argentina so he can't get a divorce with her. And that stops him from being able to get married to his current ''wife''. So hopefully they'll be able to work that out.


Oscar's Baptism

Elder Hall and his "favorite" baptism

Elder Hall, Francesco, and Oscar

So yeah, next time a bishop asks me if a kid from the ward can get baptized on the same day I will definitely have to make sure the kid behaves better...haha.

It was really great to talk to you all for a little bit yesterday - you don't really realize how much you miss everyone until you talk to them on the phone and start realizing how far away you really are. I'm looking forward to seeing you all again! Yesterday was fun, though. It was Fernanda's birthday, so her dad cooked up some amazing meat and we had some very yummy cheese empanadas and a chocolate cake that had our faces on it haha. I'll be sure to send some pictures.

Coolest cake ever!

Lunch with the Acuña family

It is definitely starting to get cold in the mornings and evenings here - and we ran out of gas for our space heater this week so that's been extra fun. We just have to get out of lazy mode and go buy some more and we'll be a-ok. I've been putting together a little gift box to send home to you all, but I haven't gotten everything yet, so hopefully I'll get that sent off in the next week or two.

My new scarf

I told the Millahual family that you and dad are planning to come down to get my next year, and they're all very excited to meet you; they're pretty much my Chilean family here in Temuco. They're also planning a family trip to the states for Christmas not this year, but next year. So I think that would be pretty fun to be able to turn the tables for a little bit haha. Great opportunities to practice your spanish, mamá!

Well, that's just about all I've got for this week. Once again I really enjoyed talking to you all and I'll look forward to the next call this Christmas! Before you know it it'll be that time again. I love and miss you very very much!

Nothing says "I Love You" like a good Mate.

Love,
Trevor

Oh no!

No comments:

Post a Comment