Monday, June 21, 2010

June 21, 2010

Hooooooola Mommy,


11 months!

This last week I had a really funny experience - it has started to rain a lot, so we've been going out in our rain gear now (it's relevant to the story, I promise). So I don't have rain boots, and one day Elder Noriega forgot to take his out, and Elder Laurito and I had come back to the house to grab something, so of course I took advantage of the situation and grabbed the boots hehe. So while we were walking in our sector I became a bit confident and said that nothing could get me wet - I had rain boots AND a water-proof suit (pants and a jacket). And it was true, nothing could get me wet, so I started to walk through the puddles just to rub it in the water's face. Then we got to a soccer field that was just filled with water...and we decided to cross it. First puddle....conquered....second puddle...conquered....third puddle....TURNED OUT TO BE A 2-FOOT DEEP DITCH! AHHHH!! Needless to say my left leg did indeed plunge down and I fell on my face in the mud (many soccer fields here don't actually have grass). Elder Laurito was dying laughing while I picked myself up haha - now it's funny. And here's the amazing part....I didn't get wet! In your face water! Now I just have to get a mud-proof face so that it doesn't get dirty when I fall in it.

President Swenson drove us back from interviews on Friday from CaƱete, and I got my hands on the list of the new elders that will be coming in this next transfer - I recognized the name of an Elder Merrill on there. Cami, your buddy is arriving to the mission in like two and a half weeks...mwahahaha. Nah, I'm looking forward to meeting him. I REALLY don't think I will be training again, but who knows - anything is possible.

In the bus on the way to interviews

We found a really great family this last week that we've started teaching. The grandma of the family (who we found talking to people in the street) is really receptive to us and is passing through a really hard time right now - she suffers from diabetes and if I remember correctly she said that she also has cancer. The other day while we were visiting them, actually, something happened to her vision and she left to go to the hospital. She told us that in any moment she could pass away, so we're praying and working really hard to help her progress in the time the the Lord gives her. She, Agustina, and her daughter Fabiola, and fabiola's two kids David and Fernanda are all really excited to be sharing with us and I'm positive that they'll be getting baptized within the next few weeks. The Lord has helped us find so many people and I'm so grateful for the guidance that he does give us. The other day in my interview with President Swenson we had a talk about how much atitude really affects the work - I feel that the Lord has always helped me and my companions find great people, and every day that we go out to work I do it expecting to see miracles. It's such an amazing experience...everyone should be out here doing this at some point in their lives.

One of the elders going home this transfer said something that I liked a lot. He said, ''When I was going to get baptized, I was scared...but I did it. When I was going to come on a mission, I was scared...but I did it. And now that I'm finishing my mission and going home, I'm scared...but I will do it.'' Honestly, I feel something like that. I don't really remember much how I felt when I was going to get baptized...but I was scared to death when I came out here. Now I'm hitting my hump day pretty soon here, and I thought about what it's going to be like coming home...and I'm scared of that too, haha. It's going to be something completely different, but it's something that I will have to do, and am looking forward to.

Sermon on the mount....of Curanilahue

Well, that's just about all I've got for this week. We got back to Curanilahue late because we had a zone activity in Lebu, so that's why the letter got to you late today. But I want you all to know that I love you, I miss you, and I would love to hear from all of you once in awhile. It doesn't have to be every week, but a line here and there would be appreciated. Feel free to send hand-written mail as well if you would like! Those are always appreciated. Anyway, I'm going to go get some pictures and junk attached - I love you all VERY VERY much, you're always in my prayers.

Elder Laurito is ready to work


-Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment