Tuesday, November 24, 2009

November 24, 2009

¡Hola Mamá!

Well, first things first: The package did get here. I actually got it a week ago today at a multi-zone conference we had in Talcahuano. We changed our preparation day to today (Tuesday) because yesterday we had interviews with President Swenson in Los Angeles. As far as I know everything got here - Reeses (THANK YOU!!!), beef jerkey, dove chocolates, wheat thins, trail mix, and PEANUT BUTTER!!!!! I'm very happy about this box, hehe. I took a package of Reeses to Freddy and Carmen Gloria's house the other day to let them try it and they told me that I have to tell you to send more so I can give it to them haha. They love the gringo treats. Let me know when you get the package I sent out, I want to know how long it takes for it to get from here to there.

Sounds like you're having fun with all those musical callings in the church! The other day President Swenson asked me if you and dad had callings and I didn't remember! So now I'll be able to do that. When I get back I really want to work with the missionaries - preferrably spanish-speaking. And if there aren't any in my ward, I'll go out and look for them haha. I've really noticed how much support from the members can have an impact on the missionary work, so when I get back I'm going to do everything I can to help the Elders in our area out. Plus, it's loads of fun so it'll be well worth it.

New computer, eh? I think it was about time to get a new one anyway - that other one was just dying. What a bummer that it would have cost so much to fix it, though, it would have been nice to have another one around. I saw a Mac today for the first time in 4 months! It was in a photo shop where I went to get my pictures taken for my visa. We do really have to have visas, Chile just does it differently. I'll be getting my identity card in the next couple weeks, called a ''carnet''. So I'll be officially Chilean...kind of...sort of...not really. There's a saying here that makes everyone laugh when the gringos say it: ''Soy más Chileno que los porotos.'' It means that I'm more Chilean than the Chilean beans. Not really funny when you say it in english...but still, they get a kick out of it.

Don't you worry, that snow will come. And when it does, you'll be really happy you have those snow tires. Just remember all the times in years past when we WISHED we had them. Winter is just testing you, hehe. I'm sure you'll get plenty of snow in the coming months to put those snow tires to the test.

That's really neat about that kid in your orchestra class. I'm sure it can try your patience at times, but just remember to always strive for Christlike love and blessings will come because of it. I've really seen a difference just a little bit of kindness can make in someone's life.

A cd? Wow! I really wish I could put more music on my iPod, but NOBODY has Mac around here, and my iPod is old enough that if I wanted it to work for windows I would have to erase everything on there and reformat it for windows. Or something like that... But all the same, I would love to hear your cd if you finish it before I get back. If not, we can listen to it together when I get back. Oh, here's something cool. Hermana Swenson is trying to put a Christmas activity together for the missionaries this year, and she wants Elder Kamalu and me to play for it. She wants to do three different activities (for three different conferences with Elders in the whole mission), and she told me yesterday that Elder Kamalu and I will be traveling with them to play at all three (if they're able to do three, that is). So that should be pretty fun :). I talked to the music professor, Cristofer Teloza, at the high school Cabrero yesterday and he said he would be more than happy to let me borrow the saxophone, which is actually being fixed up right now. Yay! So yeah, things are going great.

Now for my list of random things I wrote down this week:
1. Is there a way you could send me DVDs of The Testaments and the Joseph Smith movie? Preferably with the possibility of spanish dubs or subtitles. If not, that's fine.
2. There are some teenagers here who asked me how to say a part of the male body in english, and I told them ''panini'' hehe. So now whenever they see us, instead of yelling garabatos (vulgar words), they yell ''panini''! Problem solved :)
3. Here's one that dad will like. We found some Chinese people! And they don't speak a lick of spanish! They're here on business for the wood company called Masisa, and they'll be here for about another 6 months. We requested a Book of Mormon from Santiago in Mandarin, so that should be here in about a week. Dad, if you want to send me a few phrases in Mandarin to say to them that would be great! They speak a bit of english, but it's a little rocky. We're going to try to teach them though.
4. The other day we experienced another miracle. There's a young woman in the branch whose boyfriend has gone to church with her several times, but has never wanted to visit with the missionaries. And then yesterday, when we had lunch with this family, he was there and asked us for a Book of Mormon! And he really wants to read it to know for himself. Blessings come in many different ways, and we're really excited for him.
5. Another really amazing thing that happened, is that Carmen Gloria's dad, Juan, went to church for the first time in YEARS this last sunday! He's not a member, and has been really closed off to the idea of going to church at all. The Lord really does prepare the people, we just find them and help them to be taught the by Spirit.

Well, that's all I wrote down for this week. Hope you enjoyed my random blurbs! And I think that's about all I've got for this week. Thank you for the update on the family! Let the others know that they can write me whenever they'd like - I'd love to hear from them as well. I think I'm going to go try to get some pictures on here, for some reason the computer doesn't want to recognize my camera. So if there are no pictures this week I apologize. Anyway, I love and miss you very much! Keep doing good things!




Love,
Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment